Secrets you should know when shipping socks to your customers
Posted by Alabama Wholesale Socks_Shipping team on Apr 8th 2023
If you're a business owner or an online seller, you know that shipping can be one of the most expensive parts of your business. This is especially true when you're dealing with light and bulky items like socks. However, with a few simple strategies, you can save big on your shipping costs, whether you're shipping domestically or internationally.
- Consolidate your shipments One of the easiest ways to save on shipping costs is to consolidate your shipments. This means that you combine multiple orders into one larger shipment. By doing this, you can take advantage of volume discounts and reduce the per-unit cost of shipping. If you're a wholesale buyer, this is especially important, as your suppliers may offer better rates for larger shipments.
- Use a shipping aggregator A shipping aggregator is a service that combines the shipping volume of multiple companies to negotiate better rates with carriers like UPS, FedEx, and USPS. By using a shipping aggregator, you can access discounted rates that you wouldn't be able to get on your own. Some popular shipping aggregators include ShipStation, Shippo, and EasyShip.
- Negotiate with your carriers If you're a high-volume shipper, you may be able to negotiate better rates directly with your carriers. This is especially true if you're using multiple carriers, as they may be willing to compete for your business. Contact your carriers and ask about volume discounts, and don't be afraid to negotiate.
- Understand dimensional weight Dimensional weight is a way for carriers to account for the size of a package, in addition to its weight. This is especially important for light and bulky items like socks, as the size of the package can have a big impact on the shipping cost. Dimensional weight is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of a package, and then dividing by a dimensional weight divisor. The dimensional weight divisor varies by carrier, but is usually around 139.
For example, let's say you're shipping a box of socks that weighs 10 pounds, and measures 24 x 12 x 12 inches. The dimensional weight would be calculated as follows: 24 x 12 x 12 = 3,456 3,456 / 139 = 24.9 The dimensional weight of the package is 24.9 pounds, which is higher than the actual weight of the package. This means that you'll be charged based on the dimensional weight, rather than the actual weight, which can increase your shipping costs.
- Use the right packaging Using the right packaging can also help you save on shipping costs. For light and bulky items like socks, it's important to choose packaging that is both sturdy and lightweight. This will help minimize the size of your package and reduce your dimensional weight. Consider using poly mailers, padded envelopes, or lightweight boxes that are specifically designed for shipping.
In conclusion, shipping light and bulky items like socks can be expensive, but there are ways to save on shipping costs. Consolidating your shipments, using a shipping aggregator, negotiating with your carriers, understanding dimensional weight, and using the right packaging can all help you reduce your shipping costs and improve your bottom line. By implementing these strategies, you can make shipping a more cost-effective part of your business.